Friday, February 19, 2010

The rules

30daysI used to love that show 30 days with the guy from Super Size me.  At the beginning of every show he would lay out the rules that he would have to follow for the next 30 days.  Well here are mine.

1. When commuting to work I won’t use my car

It doesn’t matter how late I’m running or ill prepared for the day I am for the day, no car.  Even if I have a midday appointment, like the dentist I’ll stick with public transit or my bike.

2. My commuting choice can’t negatively impact those around me

Just cause I ‘m not driving doesn’t mean I get to be late to dinner, skip meetings or be grouchy in the morning. 

3. I won’t force my commuting habit on others

Specifically my 4 year old daughter who I take to preschool on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  I don’t have a great plan here yet...  If she is game and the weather is nice we will try to take the bus, but I’m not going to force this on her.  On preschool days I have the option to drive a car, for her.  Basically we need to see how this goes.

4. When riding public transit I’ll use the extra time to learn

A sub rule here is that if anyone engages me in conversation while on the bus I am obligated to reciprocate and learn as much about them as possible.  Otherwise I plan to do some reading and writing while on the bus.  No headphones for me.

That’s the rules I’m keeping.  Any I missed?

Bus 2
Bike 1 (it was too nice to sit on a bus today)
Total 3

2 comments:

  1. Good rules! Sunny here today also, but the old Pontiac needed some time away from the garage. Wish I could be as brave as you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on stepping out of your comfort zone and trying something new!

    When I went all-transit, I became a reader again. I had 3 boxes of books that a friend left when he moved to SF. I started with pulp sci-fi, but but worked may way up to Sherlock Holmes and Shakespeare. I really hadn't read much other than Guinness labels in the couple of years after graduating.

    The 30-40 minutes of waiting and riding (each way) is one of the things I miss about working. Especially when I had no iPhone, it was a time to myself: read, listen to music, write on my laptop, watch a class lecture, or just sit and watch and think.

    ReplyDelete